Sunday, November 22, 2009

New Britain Museum of American Art

I am just posting the pictures I took at the museum trip from last Sunday this week. My overall impression of the museum was that it was okay. I went there with an open mind, although I am the first to admit that American art - especially modern art - is not my cup of tea. I did find a few pieces in the Hudson Valley collection and the painting of the Parthenon most impressive. Otherwise it was not my favorite visit so far, but at least I had no problem with parking :)


Grandfather Clock - they just don't make 'em like they used to.







This is a replica of a Revolutionary Officer's coat


Samuel Colt Revolver - need I say more? It was gorgeous but with the lighting and the class, it was very difficult get in close to show the emmaculate detail that was on the gun






Bronze statue of Pan



George Washington

I took this one for the rainbow on the left side of the painting. George Inness 1861

This one is nice upclose - it is called Sunday Morning by Asher Brown Durand

This one is about 7ft long and 5ft high. It is on loan from the Met and was done by Frederic Edwin Church who was part of the Hudson Valley team.

The colorful wall is paper and plastic cups which is interesting but I was more interested in the glass sculpture hanging from the ceiling. The one at Mohegan Sun is gorgeous and this one, while it looks a little smaller, is still awesome.

Antique copy of Treasure Island with color artwork. Below is the painting that was used for the artwork in the book above.

















4 comments:

  1. One of the more remarkable pieces there is Graydon Parishes monumental painting on 911... He represents a new contemporary approach to narrative and figurative painting that is now coming back into vogue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed with the scale of that painting. When I made my way to that part of the museum, there was a tour that was just finishing up. I did not realize that it was about 911 until I got a chance to get up close and saw the twin towers in the background destroyed. The picture I posted doesn't do the painting any justice - I wanted to take a video of it so I could get in closer but there were so many people around it wasn't possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a remarkable painting... in it's scale and it its narrative power... something that was largely rejected for about a century of art history!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was told that the New Bdritain museum is a must see because of the 911 painting. Now I know I have to see it. I love the rainbow painting (it's my favorite) and the one of George Washington.

    ReplyDelete